What is Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is commonly caused by male estrogen levels that are too high, or are out of balance with testosterone levels. It is an enlargement or swelling of breast tissue in men. Some men are embarrassed by the swelling and excess growth of breast tissue, therefore they seek ways to resolve this condition. Mara’s Med Spa offers a powerful solution to help get rid of gynecomastia for good.
What are the Causes?
It is not uncommon for this condition to develop in boys between the ages of 11 and 15 years old. This is typically the stage of puberty that causes hormonal activity. Gynecomastia feels like a small, rubbery lump under the nipple(s). It can happen on one or both sides and the lump may feel sore. Many people confuse Gynecomastia with ordinary fat tissue, especially if a young man is very overweight.
There are many conditions that can cause gynecomastia. These include:
- Lack of proper nutrition
- Tumors in the testicles or adrenal glands
- Liver disease
- Kidney failure
Certain drugs can also cause gynecomastia, including:
- Anabolic steroids for improved athletic performance
- Finasteride (Proscar®, Propecia®) for enlarged prostate
- Spironolactone (Aldactone®), digoxin (Lanoxin®), amiodarone (Cordarone®), and calcium channel blockers
- Cimetidine (Tagamet®) and proton pump inhibitors for heartburn
- Diazepam (Valium®) for anxiety
- Ketoconazole (Nizoral®) for fungal infections
- Metronidazole (Flagyl®) for bacterial infections
- Human chorionic gonadotropin for fertility problems
- Amphetamines, marijuana, heroin, methadone (“street” drugs) and alcohol
How is Gynecomastia Treatment Performed?
At Mara’s Med Spa, we use a specialized, developed technique to strategically treat Gynecomastia. Coolsculpting is an FDA-cleared treatment that uses fat-freezing technology to give long-term results. Fat cells do not like the cold, and at a certain temperature they will freeze. Once that happens, your body will naturally eliminate the dead cells in 1-3 months or more. This treatment typically results in up to 20%-25% reduction of fat in the treated area. The outcome of this procedure is to give the patient a more lean and sculpted appearance, so that they can feel more confident when taking off their shirt.
Call Mara’s Med Spa today to schedule a free consultation for Gynecomastia! For Uptown call 469-730-3333 or Highland Park 214-373-9500. Both locations are in the Dallas area Metroplex.