These days everyone is looking for ways to prevent the spread of disease and Viruses right? We have all heard of Vitamin C being great in supporting a healthy immune system but there are many other factors that many might not be aware of.
- Get enough sleep and manage stress. Sleep deprivation and stress overload increase the hormone cortisol, prolonged elevation of which suppresses immune function.
- Avoid tobacco smoke. It undermines basic immune defenses and raises the risk of bronchitis and pneumonia in everyone, and middle ear infections in kids.
- Drink less alcohol. Excessive consumption impairs the immune system and increases vulnerability to lung infections.
- Eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds, which will provide your body with the nutrients your immune system needs. A study in older adults showed that boosting fruit and vegetable intake improved antibody response to the Pneumovax vaccine, which protects against Streptococcus pneumonia.
- Sweat it out . You may be tempted to avoid the gym and saunas because it’s germy. But the reality is, working out, is a powerful way to boost your immune system, says Mark Moyad, M.D., M.P.H., Jenkins/Pokempner director of preventive and alternative medicine at the University of Michigan Medical Center. Exercise causes your body’s antibodies and white blood cells to circulate more rapidly, which means they may be able to detect and zero in on bugs more quickly. Being active this way also lowers stress hormones, which reduces your chances of getting sick, Moyad adds.
- Consider probiotics. Studies indicate supplements reduce the incidence of respiratory and gastrointestinal infections. Fermented milk products have also been shown to reduce respiratory infections in adults and kids.
- Catch some rays. Sunlight triggers the skin’s production of vitamin D, a 10-15 minute exposure (don’t forget your sunscreen) is enough. Low vitamin D levels correlate with a greater risk of respiratory infection.
- Go for the garlic. Garlic is a broad-spectrum antimicrobial agent and immune booster. Because heat deactivates a key active ingredient, add it to foods just before serving.
Mara’s Med Spa is pleased to offer our Alpha Fusion Detox Pod. This individuated pod is great to sweat out toxins, burn calories AND boost your immune system. Alpha Fusion incorporates convection and conduction dry sauna heat that is adjustable up to 180 degrees, dual-motorized independent vibratory back massage units, soft contour back heating systems, aromatherapy and more. The Alpha Fusion bod pod is used for self-improvement, preventative health care, general wellness and weight loss.