A healthy diet and proper skin care regimen may not always be enough to keep your skin at its best. Sometimes you need the expertise of skin care professionals to achieve healthy, beautiful skin. Dermatologists and estheticians both provide skin care knowledge and specialized procedures.
Dermatologists and estheticians often collaborate, and their practices complement each other. Dermatology practices may employ an esthetician for laser treatments or assistance with skin care recommendations.
Estheticians who recognize skin abnormalities such as lesions refer their clients to a dermatologist for evaluation and treatment. Some large dermatology practices may have a medical spa associated with them.
Medical spas combine the luxury of a spa with the medical oversight and expertise that promote healthy skin.
When should you see a dermatologist?
- Once a year for a skin exam.
- If a rash is painful or spreading, especially if it starts after taking a new medication
- If you have skin cancer, psoriasis or skin infections
When should you go to a medical spa?
- To determine your skin type and establish an appropriate medical grade skin care regimen accordingly
- To receive Botox or dermafillers
- If you are interested in laser treatments (laser hair removal, skin resurfacing)
- For medical grade facials, dermaplaning, chemical peels, microdermabrasion or Hydrafacials
- If you are interested in PRP injections
- If you are interested in scar removal or stretch mark reduction
- If you have sun damage, fine line & wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, rosacea, and melasma
- If you have blemishes or severe acne that isn’t clearing up
- If you are interested in body contouring (fat loss & cellulite reduction)
To book a complimentary consultation with a skincare specialist, please contact Mara’s Med Spa at one of our two locations. Uptown: 469-730-3333 or Highland Park: 214-373-9500.